I love the way my nails look after I give them a little TLC and I don’t even go to a salon for that. Many men balk at the idea of having their nails done by a manicurist, others just couldn’t care to have their nails cleaned, and yet others haven’t the foggiest idea what to do about it.
Having well-kept fingernails isn’t just about the aesthetic. Of course they look good, but it is also about health. Dirt and grime collect under fingernails very easily, and that can be a fertile incubation ground and transmission point for all sorts of unspeakable germs! The stakes are higher if the skin gets broken or if you’re diabetic.
Here’s a quick and easy way to get that clean, manicured look without having to sit in a manicurist’s station.
- A nail clipper
- A nail file
- A nail buffer (a rectangular foam block that looks like a cross between a sanding block and a kitchen sponge)
- A nail brush
- A cuticle pusher
- Cuticle oil
All of these are easily found at your local drugstore. Hopefully you might have some of them. You’ll also need a bowl of warm soapy water and lotion, which I know you’ll have.
- Soak your nails in the soapy water for a few minutes to soften them up and scrub under your nails with the nail brush. You can also use the nail file that comes with the clipper to clean any residual dirt from under the nails.
- Clip your nails along the natural curvature of your fingers and follow that by evening out the cut, ‘sanding’ with the nail file. When clipping your nails, it is important not to crack them. (That’s why soaking helps).
- Buff your nails using the buffer in the same fashion as you would buff a pair of dress shoes. If your buffer has sides with different textures, start with the most coarse and finish with the smoothest. Multiple-textured buffers give the most polish and can really make your nails look professionally manicured.
- Dab a drop of cuticle oil on each nail, wait for a couple of minutes and then use the cuticle pusher to push back the cuticle on each finger.
- Moisturize. Using good helping of the lotion, rub in the lotion into your hands from your wrists to your extremities.This is important because it helps keep the skin surrounding the nail grooves from drying and cracking and also keeps your hands soft.
Now go show off those hands!