Are you aware that most of the anti-aging wrinkle creams and skin care products that are available online and in the market contains ingredients that could be negatively affecting your health?
Parabens are chemicals that have been used as preservatives in many skin care products and anti-aging creams including sunscreens, shampoos, conditioners and deodorants to protect them from fungal and bacterial contamination. However, there is nothing organic and natural about them.
Most astonishingly, parabens are also used as a food additives, usually to add flavor and color since they are capable of reducing the effects of bacteria and spoilage.
What are Parabens?
• Parabens are a chemical compound of para-hydroxybenzoic acid, and come in various forms such as methyl, ethyl, propyl and benzyl. Parabens are found naturally in prunes, cinnamon, and blueberries. But the parabens used in personal and skin care products are manufactured synthetically and are chemically different.
What’s harmful with parabens?
• Parabens could pass through the skin and mix with the bloodstream where they break down.
• Parabens, particularly butylparaben, disrupt the functioning of normal hormones by mimicking the female hormone estrogen. Exposure to estrogen may increase a woman’s risk of developing breast cancer.
• Methyl paraben has been linked to the cause of premature skin aging. Certain skin care products and anti-aging creams can cause the skin to age early when the skin is exposed to harmful UV rays of the sun. Ironically, addition of paraben in anti-aging creams is doing more harm than good to your skin.
• Some people have reported dermatitis condition such as allergic reactions and sensitivity to parabens after using skin care products having this chemical as a preservative.
Studies supporting the fact that Parabens is harmful for the skin:
More and more beauty and health conscious women are raising their concern about the harmful effects of parabens. Several studies in recent years have suggested that parabens may pose serious risks to our health. The so-called natural skin care products and anti-aging wrinkle creams could surely be contaminated with toxic ingredients.
• A recent Danish study showed that after the topical application of paraben on the skin, this chemical can be easily measured in the blood within a few hours.
• Dr. Philippa Darbre and his colleagues at the University of reading carried out tests on 20 samples of human breast tumors. They found traces of parabens in each sample. These tests prove that parabens pass through human skin. Thus, it demonstrates that if people are exposed to parabens it will accumulate in their bodies.
• According to Dr. Darbre, the detection of parabens in human breasts tumors is of great concern because this chemical has been shown to mimic the action of estrogen, a female hormone. Since estrogen has the ability to promote the growth of human breast tumors, therefore, it becomes important to consider the integration of paraben in several personal care and skin care products.
• The above findings that link the cause of breast cancer with paraben is welcomed by Dr. Philip Harvey, European editor of the journal, and Chris Flower, director general of the UK’s Cosmetic Toiletry & Perfumery Association.
Are parabens banned?
• The FDA considers this chemical safe. According to the Food and Drug Administration, parabens exhibit much less estrogenic activity than the naturally occurring estrogen in the human body.
• Many countries have not banned this chemical. According to the health officials of these countries, low levels of this chemical is generally safe.
• Japan and Sweden have completely banned the use of anti-aging creams and other cosmetics containing parabens.
• New Zealand and Australia are taking required steps to ban this chemical from personal and skin care products including anti-aging wrinkle creams.
Go Natural with USDA Certified Organic products
There are better options available for the skin and personal care products. Choose certified organic products since they are 100% natural and free from all synthetic and harmful chemicals including parabena. Organic anti-aging natural beauty products from « Pure Personal Products » called « Organic Youth, » are a treasure of natural ingredients including aloe leaf juice, Shea butter, pomegranate seed oil, murumuru butter and the list goes on. Don’t compromise the health of your skin, choose your skin care products carefully. Your skin will love you for this.